Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Place of My Own


Tears build up but are not shed.
I work so hard to reach out, but in this circle, I am stuck running.
I cannot walk in a straight line when my thoughts are fostered in a zig zag.
I am a shape without a spot to fit.
The circles have declared that I am too square,
yet my angles are to curved to fit in with those who have such sharp edges.
I have been left in between.
Even though I refuse to give up, each rejection places more despairing weight upon my chest.
Their hurtful declarations have become the led that holds my feet down as I try to run free.
I tell my unshed tears that I am too strong, yet they still threaten to fall.
I want to scream the words of surrender,
but with this thought, I realize to give up is to end.
It is then that I know to push on.
Reaching ahead.  Not afraid to fall.
I do not belong because I want to reach for it all.
Silent doubt I work to overcome as I work to make my very own place in this world.
© 2012 Elizabeth Rockhill

No comments:

Post a Comment