Wednesday, February 29, 2012

In Love with a Broken Promise


I fell in love with a broken promise, which therefore broke my heart.
During the nights of lust that we shared, he promised me the world.
The world to which I was denied.
I gave to him a gift.
One in which I could give no other.
That gift was the key to my heart or the chain that now ties me down.
Day after day, trying every which way to make this love carry through.
But day after day, you seemed not to notice. Not to care about what I do.
I heard his words of loyalty and love forever more, and yes I do believe them.
Yet my heart starts to wonder otherwise such as whether or not I really matter to you.
I wish he would just give me a sign or a clue to his thoughts
Because sometimes my love for him may just not be enough.
Soon my hope for us will dwindle away just as soon our love will evaporate.
Then the love between us will be nothing but mere memories of broken promises made yesterday.
© 2012 Elizabeth Rockhill

No comments:

Post a Comment