Thursday, February 9, 2012

Given Forgiveness in Time

My mind is locked in a box.
I’ve been given my ticket.
I’ve been pushed through the door.
The light has extinguished.
I was left trapped within myself.
I scream for an escape, yet no sounds do I make.
I am lost in distant memories while reality is stripped from me.
Is this my purgatory?
What sins did I commit that were so egregious that I was left here to whither?
Somewhere inside, I know that my freedom calls.
Somewhere inside, within my eyes, I can still recognize.
I did exist.  I do exist, but soon I will cease to exist.
I fight so hard against myself.
Clinging desperately to the cliff of my memories.
It is my life that time has taken.
The mountains of my accomplishments crumble before me,
But as my memories dwindle, I do not even remember that it was I that once scaled those tall peaks.
One by one, those memories are gone.
Who I was, I am fighting to hold on to, or praying to completely forget.
Yet I am left somewhere in between.
Standing still.
Wanting to run, but no knowing where it is that I wish to go.
I am loosing hope of remembering tomorrow.
Second by second, I soon too will loose all sense of time.
FREEDOM PLEASE! Anguish forgotten.
If I can no longer be, break these chains. Set fire to these walls.
Plant the seed of hope.
New life. New time.
Once released, I will remember.  It will come back like the wave returning to shore.
With peace, I will be given forever.
With forgiveness, I will let go.
Once released, not just my memories will come back to me.
When set free, my soul will finally be at ease.
It is for this that I scream to thee. 
Mercy within.  Mercy above.  Mercy for me.
© 2012 Elizabeth Rockhill

No comments:

Post a Comment